March 16, 2016

iPhone wireless charging


Now when I am waiting the new Prius to be delivered I had some time to check what are available options for the iPhone to have wireless charging. This came an interesting idea since a new car has QI charging capabilities. And of course I want to use all these high tech features!


First thing to understand that there is different standards for the wireless charing. QI, Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) and Power Matter Alliances (PMA). So you'll need to find out what your phone is supporting before purchasing any type of wireless charger.

In my case I knew that new vehicle is having QI and iPhone is not supporting any of these standards by native. So I need third party "add on" to the phone. Searching Amazon and other sources this came by and decided to order it.



Charger is smaller than an credit card. Idea is to attach it to behind phone with a included sticker. And maybe then use a case, as in my case ;) However be warned. Not to have too thick case. Then this is not working properly. I have quite thin plastic/rubber case around 5s and works very well with the charger I have. I have tested this also briefly in 2016 Prius, though did not observe how well it worked there. Yes it started to charge but did it cut charging during my test drive. That is something that I need to check later on.

Also if you need to remove QI device from phone time to time, it maybe little pain to do so. So better to have it all the time attached. On my normal use battery seems to last whole day very well. My daily usage is reading emails and calendar and streaming music from Spotify. Having wlan and Bluetooth always enabled.

Link to Amazon store.



To my home I bought Fuj:tech QI4000 charger. With this one charging works like a dream. Charger has also power bank, meaning that I can take device with me and then charge phone without connecting any plug.I have not measured how long it takes to charge phone from zero to full but clearly charging is slower than using a power cord. This doesn't matter me in daily using since I tend to put phone to charger very often.

Link to Verkkokauppa.com (a Finnish shop for nerds)

Both of these cost together 70 euros. Not that bad. And actually quite convenient way to charge phone. Even in that case that you have not yet ordered a car with built-in QI charger. Thirsty Nerd Blog recommends to add wireless charger to your phone!




No comments:

Post a Comment