December 15, 2015

Apple vs Windows PC, which one you should buy?

If you are wondering should you buy Apple or Windows based PC. Please read on and find my comments. I had this thinking earlier and came to conclusion of this issue.


Roughly one year ago I was so fed up with Windows 7. Mainly because all constant update needs. All kind of pop ups came. When there was Java asking update and when some other application. I have to admit, I was bit lazy too. Maybe I could make these pop ups silent by configuring notifications and just solely updating needed things.




But that was kind of excuse for me to think Apple Macbook Pro instead of fixing issues that bothered me on Windows 7. At that point of time I was also consuming time by playing video games quite much. There was some HW update needs as well on my PC.


It is also quite typical for me to have some kind idea to my head what I would be doing with new computer. MBP in this case. I was thinking that I will start to learn developing iOS apps. And for that I need Mac, definitely. It is not possible on Windows machine. At least not possible in easy way. So I made some comparison between these system to have own idea would it be good for me or not. I found quite many good resources, which made a good comparison between these two systems.


I decided to get MBP. After a while I noticed that learning to code would be possible. But only if I am able to spend another 8 hours per day after the office day. Then I decided that I start to make cool effects with Final Cut Pro X and Motion 5. Same story, took too much time to learn these things.


Key factor to consider



But one thing they missed. If you have used to Windows based interface - let’s say for example 20 years or more. It is very difficult (at least was for me) to get used to other interface. All is kind of “mirrored”. It feels very restricted to use. Sometimes very frustrating to google even simplest things. I tried to get used OS X interface over year. Then I decided that I want to play again new games. For that purpose I needed Windows machine with latest components. Oh boy it felt good to get Windows back.


Apple has how ever many things better than Windows has. E.g Time Machine is very good. Still I need to make some research how is backups done in Windows 10. Not sure yet of that what is the best way to arrange it. Then sending SMS messages directly from OS X was very good and useful. All updates went extremely smoothly compared to Windows world. No stupid questions almost at all. Patches was installed silently without disturbing user. Compared to Windows, patches starts to install middle of your work. Then when you try to shutdown computer starts new “configuration round”.


Other factors to take into count


Apple HW is nowadays similar than traditional HW used in Windows computers. It is just more pricy. Actually way more. You will get superb battery life (in laptops) and extremely well built chassis. Also you will get very good trackpad. It was so good system that I even bought external trackpad.


Then other things is that for what purpose computer is going to be. In my case I decided first to leave gaming world. And start coding and then edit videos. Neither of these worked for me. After year and some months I wanted to play again. Got Windows machine back BUT didn’t sell MBP. I have now both in use.


Conclusion


If you have long previous experience either of these systems, stick with it. Both operating systems have pros and cons but it may be difficult to switch to other. Also depending what you are planning to make with new computer may affect to your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment