December 15, 2015

Light the staircase

We had moved few months ago to new home. New home has two floors and I thought that it would be a good idea to light the staircase. I already made some background research what kind lightning would be needed. But then after some time I had new things in my mind and forgot all what I had studied. Until we visited local shop which sells this kind things. Noticed there Phillips Hue led strip. Though that this is exactly what I need. Noticed already in the shop that box includes 2 meters of that strip, which would not be of course enough for whole staircase. There was also mention “Bridge not included” in the box. Idea was to “pilot” how it works. Didn’t care of these bridges whatsoever…


At home I realized that this bridge is quite critical component for Phillips Hue system. In order to control light you need this bridge, which is then connected to to your home network. And then other failure was that you are not able to cut strip to suit better your needs. Or actually cutting is possible but then you are not able to continue it by connecting new strip to it. Which is needed when lighting staircase steps.


I was not aware of that “feature” at home. So I went back to the dealer to ask if this is possible. No it’s not, was the answer. But there was good salespersons at the shop. I bought “starter kit” for Hue. Which included bridge plus three light bulbs. I actually thought that it might be quite neat to have this kind lightning in my upcoming man cave.


Afterwards Hue found to be quite good system, even it bit pricy. One bridge can control huge amount of light sources. These lights are then controlled from app. Which should be available at least to iOS and Android. I am Apple user with mobile devices, so I have no experience how Android works but iOS version seems to work OK. It was also lot of fun to 1 and half year boy to change light profiles from iPad.

So now I have good lights in the office but still staircase without led strips. And 2 meter strip without good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment