December 1, 2018

The best video editor in 2019

Got a new 4k UHD camera and now looking what application to use edit the videos? What is the best video editor in 2019? Here I present two competitors and give my opinion of those. Competitors are the obvious and then the challenger. In other words Adobe Premiere vs Davinci Resolve.

Davinci Resolve





Adobe Premiere (the Obvious)


If you have been reading reviews of the video editor programs Adobe Premiere is often leading the results. It has very solid history of being industry standard as an the application for these purposes. You can't really go wrong with Adobe, can you?

Well it depends little bit. If you're a professional and need editor for living and then working with other companies who are using Premiere. In this case it might be the only available solution. However if you're hobbyist or working mostly alone, then it might not be the only available option out on the market. Premiere has also tons of Youtube material available. Tutorials and other how to do videos. So from educational point of view, you would not be alone.

Quite many complaints Adobe's subscription model. I do complaint that as well. It is pricey! First I thought that, okay, this is price of my video editing hobby. I need to buy some video recording devices, I need to pay for the application also. And I would not have any problem with that. Sort of.

I made monthly invoiced subscription. 25 euros per month. That is 300 euros per year. In other word I would buy new app every year with that price. Quite a sum, huh? After 3 months of use, I was quite frustrated. Application crashed many times. Memory exhausted and consumed all the time. Even my computer is quite decent. It is approx 4 years old equipped with i7 CPU, nVidia 1080ti graphics card, SSD hard drive and 16GB of memory. I would expect that the industry leader application works better. Now one might think that why didn't you report to Adobe. True. I was too lazy to create any incidents.

I decided to look other solutions and cancel my subscription. Real shock came when I logged to my account. Even invoicing model was monthly based, I had made yearly contract. So I was invoiced of rest of 9 months (with 50% of the agreement). Of course fault was mine, I didn't understand that in the first place. For some reason I thought that monthly subscription is monthly. Be-warned: it is not.

Davinci Resolve (the Challenger)


Then this application came after research. Video editor application for free that everybody seems to praise. Usually free applications has some caveats but so far I have not found nothing bad of this application. Blackmagic Design, which is the developer company for this, has also a paid version available. Which has obviously more capable features available. User interface is easy enough to learn from zero. Also this application has many many tutorials available online. Color grading features even more sophisticated than on Adobe Premiere. Actually I understood that popularity began from the color grading features. And other features came later to the current version. Application works fast and editing is smooth. 

And price, that is really zero euros/dollars. Or paid version but that is only one time payment. Not a monthly subscription model.

In my case decision was quite easy. I will continue learning Davinci Resolve and suggest others to check this application too!

No comments:

Post a Comment