November 4, 2018

Panasonic GH5s low light test: This makes you consider GH5s over Sony AX700


After I got excited about learning video editing I started to think if I should upgrade my old faithful Panasonic FULL HD camcorder. I know image quality doesn't make better videos, if you don't know how to shoot or edit. But as always, hobbies takes their prices and I started to compare different options. My number one device was Sony AX700. I also compared it to other similar products from Canon and Panasonic as well. But then something came out, I didn't expect...




My biggest caveat for the Sony was the fact it didn't shoot 50p/60p format. Really not sure is that a deal breaker since mostly I shoot in 25p format anyways with the GH5s anyways. If you think that you need to do slow motion videos from your footage, then it is recommended to do 50/60 format videos. Otherwise, if that is not needed, use your bitrate to better image quality.

What happened?


So what happened, why I decide to buy something else than that Sony AX700? Many Youtube videos compared Sony to something called Panasonic GH5s. I started to look more into that. Quickly it was discovered that it was highlighted as a video maker dream. Specsheet has the all needed things. 4k video format 60 frames per second. Very very good low light / night shooting capabilities. I guess that was the biggest selling point for me. Though there was some cons in the camera too. Even it was said it is the dream for video makers. Built-in image stabilization is missing from the body. So when choosing lens, make sure you pick up the one that has stabilization. Then price tag for the camera is not that friendly. I was lucky enough to pick up my from discount. At least I think it was a good deal. Other negative features is that focusing is not even near on same bar if you have used to Canon cameras. However Panasonic has offered newer firmwares and those should include improved focusing. I havn't tried yet the one from end of October 2018. Will report how it works once tested.

Night performance

So, please remember that I am not very talented in video filming. Nor in editing. Still results seems to be very impressive in my opinion. In these videos ISO values varies from 1600 to 6400. No color grading, only using CineV picture profile straight from the camera. Videos I have edited using Adobe Premiere Pro CC. What you think about this video?


Competitors


These things was on my short list when shopping new camera.

Sony AX700
+ Size
+ Good stabilizator
+ Extremely sharp image
- 50p/60p @ 4k missing
- panning seems to be bit jerky at Youtube examples

Canon Legria/Vixia GX10
+ Buttery smooth footage at 50p/60p @ 4k
- Bigger body than in Sony

Apple iPhone X & DJI Osmo Mobile 2
+ The best camera is the one which is which you, right?
+ Compact combo to take with you
+ Super smooth footage even while walking
+ Timelapse and hyperlapse options on DJi software
- Battery drain... beware!

I bought a gimbal for my iPhone. Price level for that very reasonable compared to whole new camera + lens combo. At first, it looked that this would be the filming gear I need. However battery consumption is insane if you try to film even for a short time. You can also charge your phone back from Osmo but that is... I don't know, messing with cables and some sort of extra stuff. Image quality wise it is surprising good option. However from my experience 25p footage is bit jerky for some reason. Might be that I had something wrong with the settings on editor software too. However 50p looked to be good.

Micro thirds vs full frame cameras

The most obvious thing is that full frame cameras are able to capture light more than micro thirds sensor cameras. However Panasonic has done a great job specially on GH5s as mentioned above. There are few other factors to consider as well. First and foremost I noticed the size and weight of this camera to compared my Canon 6D still camera. It is pure enjoy to take this beast among, just it is so light to carry. Second factor is depth of field, which is greater on micro thirds systems.. It is often advantage to have more depth of field, specially when making films.


Conclusion

I have been using this camera now few months. So far it has been good bargain. At the very beginning I was slightly considering it to return it to the dealer. But then I was viewing my own filming from night scenes and image quality is just incredible. You can't do similar shooting eg. with smart phone, which was my alternative for 4k videos too. So I decided to continue to use GH5s and have been very happy. Once you learn (I still have some homework to do) to use the device properly, this is very capable camera indeed!

GH5s firmware version 1.2

Always remember to update firmware to the latest available version. Currently version is 1.2 and release date 23rd of October 2018. Download it from the Panasonic website and follow instructions how to update firmware.


#lowlight
#competitors
#sony
#canon
#camcorder
#night
#ois
#focus
#firmware

No comments:

Post a Comment